Saturday 12 June 2010

Skype

Now I Know what you're thinking.
How can I be performing at the Albany when I'm supposed to be in Cambodia?

Two words....
Skype Bee-atch!!

Yeah check it out, Polarbear dune booked me for a gig where by I'm on skype.
I actually appeared as an enormous disembodied head on a big screen at the back of the stage.
this is what I could see.




See the original plan was that I'd be performing live from the screen.
This week (thanks to the paranoia associated with live Internet links) that plan changed. It became me introducing videos of me performing that I had previously emailed to Polar.

Due to the time difference the show started at 2.30am my time and ended for me just after 5.

Apparently my big face was on the screen during all the other acts.

I personally might have found that a bit distracting if it had been the other way around.
(Mainly because I didn't realise that was what was happening so I was just eating biscuits, drinking coffee and smoking through out).

By the end of the gig I was at least partially delusional.
At on point I forgot I was not actually there. At another point I forgot that what I was seeing was actually live. Thousands of miles away.

I really liked the way it blurred the lines of reality for me and I think this might be how I perform from now on.
Even if I'm in the place where I'm supposed to be performing I still want to do it through my computer. Sat in a dressing room eating blueberry dueberrys while my enormous head floats over all on stage.

Big Berko is watching you, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

No comments: